Designation: Head – Development (Public Space, Buildings and Reforms)
Experience: 10+ Years
Jana Urban Space Foundation (Jana USP) is a Professional Services Social Enterprise (PSSE), delivering transformational, world-class work on the spatial dimension of cities. Jana USP’s work is focused primarily on PRACTICE – the execution of projects that deliver this transformational experience on-the-ground. Such practice work is carried out in three studios: Urban Planning; Urban Design; and Inclusive Architecture. Over the years, Jana USP has also taken up several policy and reforms initiatives, related to spatial aspects of Urban Planning and Urban Design of Indian cities, with a view to address many policy, institutional and operational bottlenecks in these areas. Jana USP is a not-for-profit entity.
Jana USP is part of the JANA Group – one of India’s best-known groups of social enterprises working towards the mission of fixing India’s cities. The group presently works across citizen participation and city governance reforms (through Janaagraha Centre for Citizenship and Democracy), city planning and design (through Jana Urban Space Foundation), Municipal Consulting services (through Jana Urban Services for Transformation Pvt. Ltd.) banking and financial services for the urban poor (through Jana Small Finance Bank) and affordable housing for the urban poor (through Janaadhar).
We are looking for a highly passionate and competent individual to be based out of Bangalore to head Development aspects – which include Business Development for the Projects Division and Grants Fundraising at Foundation level.
We offer a dynamic, driven and vibrant work environment for professionals who are passionate about investing their time, skill sets, and energy to transform quality of life in India’s cities. If interested, read the details provided below and reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your profile and “Head – Development” as the subject line.
What will the Head – Development do?
Basis for Work: Strategic Understanding:
- Understand and build on the past work experience of Jana Urban Space, in terms of spatial planning and design across city planning, land titling, city street design, neighbourhood place-making – both on the practice front, and on policy and reforms
- Work withbig picture urbanisation trends and contemporary issues such as climate change and mobility, water and sanitation, women and child safety, urban poverty and livelihoods housing and slums, urban infrastructure etc, and develop credible linkages between these factors and Jana USP’s chosen policy areas.
- Link between urban planning and design (and reforms to the same) and future of India’s cities, across Economic growth and jobs, equitable access to opportunities and services, Environmental sustainability and climate change, civic / democratic Engagement.
- Devise a long-term development strategy for Jana Urban Space and the Foundation, to be approved by the Director and Executive Director, updated with regular reports as per progress and other needs
- Fundraising and Donor relationships
- Sourcing work through two sources: relevant government tenders and meeting government officials for potential reforms or pilot works / proofs of concept, communicating the above work strands and strengths.
- Identify relevant donor organizations interested in public space and design for the Foundation, viz. Charitable Foundations, Family Trusts, UHNIs, Institutional funders, Public Funding calls, Multilaterals, Bi-laterals, etc. and explore short-term grant proposals and long-term grant-funding ideas.
- Brainstorm with Director for programmatic areas, consortia bids, and new domains-services, that can be pursued and guiding bid development team for bidding strategies, partnerships and submissions
- After contract signing, provide oversight on deliverables and timelines as per contract /agreement, Client/Donor reporting as per Contract / Grant Agreement, with necessary audits and financials.
- Programmatic Interactions
- Interact with delivery teams to help/guide as required, and understand approaches and strengths for innovative proposals and bidding
- Promote regular learning and development, and specially for innovation and adoption of best practices in the team working with Director for such team development plans and programs.
- Guide for research / lessons / publications on key areas of work, securing communications material support.
- Financial Interactions
- Oversee budgets with Director, monitor and manage overall cash flows at institutional and program levels.
- Ensure accounts-audit compliance for contracts; and FCRA, CSR and other institutional donor compliances.
- External Relations:
- Represent Jana USP in external events and meetings, participate in policy dialogues.
- Publish spatial policy briefs, opinion pieces in popular dailies, and other media.
- Establish and maintain relationships with government stakeholders, partners in civil society and industry, bilateral and multilateral agencies, and donors to achieve active collaboration and alliances on program development and implementation.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture / design / planning / engineering or other relevant programs with 12+ years’ experience would be most suited. Master’s degree or equivalent in urban planning / environment / public policy, or other directly relevant fields, but with past experience or interest in public space design may also apply.
- At least 4+ years in front-ending roles with Client interface, Bidding and Fundraising. Having secured projects through bidding, raised funds through proposals and knowing proposal and project life-cycles. Those with higher experience in both above may also apply and be considered accordingly specially.
- Strong preference for those working with Governments in India and in the Social / Urban Development space, engaging with senior stakeholders in government/civil society/industry.
- Strong project management skills and sharp focus on high-quality, timely execution with high performance teams.
- Awareness of urbanisation, its allied challenges and trends in India, with exposure to issues in different sub-sectors.