About Jana Urban Space Foundation
Established in 2007, Jana Urban Space Foundation (Jana USP) is a Professional Services Social Enterprise (PSSE), delivering transformational, world-class work on the spatial dimension of cities. Jana USP’s work is focused primarily on practice – the execution of projects that deliver this transformational experience on-the-ground. Such practice work is carried out in three studios: Urban Planning; Urban Design; and Inclusive Architecture. Over the years, Jana USP has also taken up several policy and reforms initiatives, related to spatial aspects of Urban Planning and Urban Design of Indian cities, with a view to address many policy, institutional and operational bottlenecks in these areas. Jana USP is a not-for-profit entity.
JanaUSP is part of the JANA Group – one of India’s best-known groups of not-for-profit institutions working towards the mission of fixing India’s cities. Swati Ramanathan and Ramesh Ramanathan co-founded Jana Group in 2001 and it presently works across citizen participation and city governance reforms (through Janaagraha Centre for Citizenship and Democracy), city planning and design (through Jana Urban Space Foundation), municipal consulting services (through Jana Urban Services for Transformation Pvt. Ltd.), banking and financial services for the urban poor (through Jana Small Finance Bank) and affordable housing for the urban poor (through Janaadhar).
We are looking for a passionate and quick-thinking professional to manage our projects in Uttar Pradesh. The role offers an opportunity to design and execute urban design projects across the state, transform its cities and create vibrant public spaces.
Our projects in the Urban Design space include
- Junction improvements across different cities in India, with a focus on pedestrian and NMT priority and creating landmark intersections.
- Street design across different scales including design, execution, project monitoring as well as focus on capacity building and stakeholder engagement.
- Waterfront masterplan and guidelines focusing on climate resilience and incorporating green infrastructure techniques to create memorable waterfront public spaces.
- Affordable housing projects and community based architectural projects.
What will the Senior Manager – Urban Design really do?
- Build and maintain excellent working relationships with various stakeholders across levels in the government (clients)
- To appraise the stakeholders regarding project progress
- Preparation of the collaterals (presentation, reports) as required by the project milestones and presenting the same to the stakeholders.
- Attend meetings and conferences on behalf of JanaUSP
- Set the objectives, timelines & milestones for the project delivery and ensure they executed in a timely manner.
- Ensure resource allocation and management
- Ensure records of meetings, emails and documents as part of the project are shared and maintained as per internal company standards
- Monitor work progress to ensure any deviations are caught early
- Work and interact with other teams of the organisation as well as the sister organisations.
- Undertake site visits for periodic supervision of the on-going works
Technical and Team Management
- Be responsible for the concept and visioning of the project
- Conduct primary and secondary research relevant to the project
- Supervise the team to prepare concept designs, presentation drawings and drawings for site and check them before delivery to client or execution on site.
- Maintain standards for graphics, technical drawings and ensure the team adheres to the same.
- Work with the team to ensure timely completion of the tasks and the best outcomes
Qualifications and Experience
- Experience in Street Design Execution and mobility related projects is a must
- Masters in urban design / urban planning / allied fields is preferred.
- 10+ year experience with having lead teams.
- Strong preference for those who have engaged with with senior stakeholders in government / civil society / industry.
What competencies does it take to be Senior Manager – Urban Design?
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Good graphic sense
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams
- Okay with operating in ambiguous and fast – paced situations
- Determination to see the work through
JanaUSP is an equal opportunity employer and offers a highly dynamic and enabling work environment. We provide competitive remuneration commensurate with relevant experience skill-sets and background.
This position is based out of Lucknow.
Please write to us with your CV and portfolio, along with a link to your updated LinkedIn profile at email@example.com with “Senior Manager – Urban Design” in the subject line.